The bottoms of the Vernazza Two Piece pattern can easily be modified to make a cute and comfortable pair of panties ;)
This is a great opportunity to use up those scraps of knit fabric you probably have lying around and it shouldn’t take more than an hour (hour and a half, max) to throw together a super cute pair of undies!
Here is what you need:
• 1/2 yard of a stretch knit fabric
• A stretch or ballpoint machine needle
• A scrap of 100% cotton fabric for the crotch gusset (if the main fabric you are using is not cotton)
• About 2-3 yards picot edge underwear elastic.
• OPTIONAL: a yard of stretch lace for a lace waistband
In the making of this tutorial I made several pairs of underwear. On the first pair, I cut the pattern pieces at the height that they are in the pattern. Those undies are pretty high rise, and VERY comfortable, if not a bit granny. On the second pair I shortened the pattern by 2”. I did this by lobbing 2” off the top of the pattern piece, rather than using the lengthen shorten line. With that big of a change in where the pattern falls on your hips, you’re going to want a bigger opening (at least that is the case on my body). On the third pair I shortened them 2” and then added a 2” stretch lace waistband. Those turned out the cutest and comfiest in my opinion. The pictures you will see in this tutorial are the pair that I shortened 2".
1. Cut out your Front Piece D and Back Piece E.
2. Cut away 1/2” from the leg openings on your front and back pieces. On the bathing suit, we baste the lining and the main fabric together at the leg holes. Since we aren’t doing that here we are just getting rid of that excess.
On the bathing suit, we baste the lining and the main fabric together at the leg holes. Since we aren’t doing that here we are just getting rid of that excess.
3. Make a crotch gusset: Cut out a piece of fabric that matches the crotch of your Front Piece D and measures about 4” tall.
Cut out a piece of fabric that matches the crotch of your Front Piece D and measures about 4” tall.
4. Sew up the crotch: Take your front and back pieces, right sides together. Place your crotch gusset right side facing the wrong side of your back piece. Stitch across the crotch, trim away excess.
5. Flip crotch piece back up towards your front piece.
6. Stitch it in place. Sew up the sides and across the top.
7. Stitch front and back together at sideseams
make sure your pieces are stitched with their right sides together.
8. Cut out two lengths of elastic for your leg holes. Stitch them into a loop.
You can use the suggested elastic lengths in the pattern or stretch a piece around your leg and cut a length that feels comfortable.
9. Sew elastic into the leg holes.
Follow the instructions in the pattern! The only difference is you're applying the elastic directly to the edge of the fabric instead of lining it up with your basting stitch.
10. Sew elastic into your waistband
Stretch a piece of elastic around your hips/waist where your underwear are going to land. Add about an inch for a seam allowance and sew it into a loop. Then repeat the method that you used to sew the elastic into the leg holes to sew elastic into your waistband!
11. Trim away all the little stray threads.